Modes of inheritance
This section of the website explains the different forms of genetic inheritance, their characteristics and how they may be used to calculate recurrence risks for a condition.
By the end of this section you should be able to:
- explain the role of population studies in determining recurrence risk for multifactorial conditions
- recognise a pattern of single-gene inheritance from a pedigree containing sufficient information
- calculate risk assessments for individuals in families with a history of a single-gene condition
- explain how conditions due to alterations in mitochondrial DNA are inherited
- recognise the features of a family history that may indicate a chromosomal condition